Monday, March 15, 2010

You Tube to learn about Second Life

The following was a post in response to a fellow student also investigating Second Life:

Hi Jamie! Yay I got to your land today. The slurl worked great. I also now know what my user error was when trying to enter your location on the map. Instead of typing in Class Dismissed, one need only type in Mournful and the coordinates. In any case, great job creating the prims! You are fantastic. What resources did you use when learning to build?

I also watched your first You Tube video which was great. For a quick recap the main educational uses for second life that were presented in the video included:
1) Role playing (e.g. learning by actually being in a Shakespeare play)
2) "being in" history (actually being a part of a re-created historical event)
3) Interactive "gaming" activities within Second Life (e.g. Scavenger hunt to learn vocab)
4) Tour replicas of locations being studied but that are too geographically distant to actually be visited
5) Self-paced tutorials
6) Opportunity to actually be in someone else's shoes
7) Presentation
8) Collaboration with colleagues from around the World.

I will be honest, the more time I spend in Second Life, the more excited I become about its educational uses. Whenever I visit a new educational location, I am excited to learn and feel truly present and engaged. I might briefly comment on the last use of Second Life. When attending the VWBPE Conference I was astonished by the potential for collaboration with educators around the world. In one session that I attended, other attendees came from Tokyo, Delaware, Denmark, Texas etc... It was astounding to be meeting with all of these academics from around the world and I never left my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment