Thursday, March 4, 2010

From EdTech to Greenhouse

My discovery on EdTech island has continued and I have learned how to add free resources to my inventory. After picking up some assets for educators, I proceeded to join my first Second Life group - that for distance educators. With this group addition I hope to receive more informational material on uses of Second Life and this rekindled my inspiration to attend the Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education Conference in Second Life on March 12th and 13th. Proceeding to the informational website I was able to register for the big event and was charged $0L to attend (the joys of a virtual conference)! For others interested in attending: http://www.vwbpe.org/ Fueled by this success, I found some additional resources including a Wiki for educational uses of Second Life: http://www.simteach.com/wiki/index.php?title=Second_Life_Education_Wiki#Teaching_Resources

Perhaps most exciting were the resources on this for science teachers. I hope to soon visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) island.

After I had fully explored the Educational Center on Ed Tech island I geared up for my first teleporting experience! Clicking on the map feature, I entered the name of what I hoped would be a safe and beautiful island called Greenhouse (63, 113, 22) - suggested by the Rymaszewski  text.  And, with only minor mishaps – stinging bees, it was as promised a beautiful island that did afford a “moment of beauty” (Rymaszewski , p.50).

No comments:

Post a Comment